Friday, November 1, 2013

Entry #9 - A cookie recipe review - Peanut Cookies

I've been on a cookie baking kick lately.   Well, more accurately: I make a batch of cookies, bake a few and put the rest of the dough in the freezer for later.   Now that it's baking season again, I can just throw a few frozen cookie dough balls on a cookie sheet, toss it in the warm oven while we're eating the food that was just baked in said oven, and when we're done we have warm, gooey cookies for dessert. It's a good plan. :-)

Tonight I made:
Peanut Cookies!
I might have gotten the recipe from here:  http://southernfood.about.com/od/peanutcookiesandbars/r/bl30425q.htm
...but it's hard to say for sure. I collected it a month or more ago along with several other peanut recipes.  I bought a LARGE can of peanuts at Sam's and was looking for recipes to use them up.

I try to make notes on recipes of the date I made it, what I changed about it, who liked it and-if I would make it again, and what would I change?   I put today's date, that I mixed it with a wooden spoon (the recipe says to use a hand mixer) and that I added a handful of chocolate chips.

This recipe couldn't have been easier.  I'm guessing that it took about half an hour from printing the recipe, mixing, baking, then eating.  It calls for oil instead of shortening, so I don't think they would freeze well because it makes a soft dough that wouldn't harden in the freezer.



 I used my small cookie scoop. The recipe said it makes 3 dozen and that's what I got.
 They don't spread while baking.  
Oh! Have you guys discovered the joy of parchment paper yet?  I don't know why it took me so many years to try it.  I love the stuff! I slide the paper off the cookie sheet and set it aside to cool off while the cookies are cooling; then I slide the cookies right off the paper to finish cooling on a wire rack then use the paper again on the now-cool cookie sheet.
So, back to the cookie review: it makes a decent cookie.  Texture-wise, it's not chewy like a typical chocolate chip cookie.  Crunchy. Firm. Stacks well.  Not too sweet. The chocolate chips added a touch of sweetness.   I won't make these often, but it's great to whip up at the last minute.

Later I'll share a couple of new chocolate chip cookie recipes that I tried.  I will be making a walnut-apple cookie recipe soon, too.


I know you all are wondering, so I will put your mind at ease.  Yes, the stray cat is still hanging around. He went nuts today when he smelled tuna at lunch time. Because, you know, it was warm out and the windows are open. And tuna smell carries! So does the sound of a can opener.  So anyway, being the softy that I am, I let him have the can.  He would like to come inside to look for more tuna. And a can opener.  So far we've been able to keep him out.
Not that he isn't being persistent.
And he politely (read: noisily) asks every time you look outside to check on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!