Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Entry #13 - Cookie recipe review - Best Ever Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

'Tis the season to be baking. Falalalala lalalala.

I made this recipe a couple of weeks ago solely because of the name:

Best Ever Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

- 1 cup butter or margarine (softened)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups quick oats
- 2 cups chocolate chips (optional)
Ok, put away your mixers because these taste best if you just hand mix them. Over mixing them is a tragedy!

1.       Mix butter and sugars together

2.      Add in eggs, vanilla, baking soda, salt and cinnamon

3.      Stir in flour

4.      Stir in oats

5.      Stir in chips

That's it! Cook at 375 degrees for 8-10 mins. Makes about 3 dozen.



I'm not sure where online it was found.  Possibly from here:
http://www.ziplist.com/recipes/1232857-Best_Ever_Oatmeal_Chocolate_Chip_Cookies
But most likely it came from Pintrest.

The only change I made was to use half shortening and half butter.
 I used a cookie scoop to dollop the dough onto waxed paper-lined cookie sheets, then I put the un-baked dough in the freezer.  Once frozen, I packaged it into freezer bags, labled them with the contents and baking instructions and safely tucked them away for later. 

Today was later.

I took out a dozen dough balls and gently slammed them onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.  Okay, maybe slammed is too strong a word. ;-)


While everyone ate supper, I put the tray of frozen cookie dough in the already-warm oven and baked them according to the instructions.  By the time everyone is finished eating, they had been taken out of the oven and were cooled.

You can see that they didn't spread during baking.  I wonder if that is because I used shortening instead of half of the butter.

So...my review:  These are a good cookie; but I'm not convinced I like cinnamon with my chocolate.  Don't get me wrong. I love cinnamon. Cinnamon is good for digestion. I just can't wrap my head around the combination. 
Next time I will either leave out the chocolate chips or the cinnamon. I might try substituting peanut butter for some of the butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!