Thursday, November 14, 2013

Entry #14 - The valance is finished!

This afternoon seemed like the perfect time to tackle the valance. 
After many finger pricks with the pins (One was bad enough to require a neon orange band-aid. I'm pretty clumsy.), I'm pleased with the end results.

I gathered all my supplies: 2 different materials, scissors, sewing machine, pins, and the papers that I'd been using to figure up sizes, dimensions, measurements...etc.

The paper pattern was 12" long, so I figured I needed 15" of the outer material, which would fold over the lining material at the top to make the rod pocket.

The lining material had a pattern to it that allowed me to follow one of the lines making the process go quicker.  Perfect.
I only needed 13 inches of it since the outer fabric was going to enclose it with the top and bottom seams.
I had a plan, people!
I had no idea how it would work in the end, but I had a plan nonetheless.

I had to constantly pin the lining material because it kept wanting to curl.
That was the first wrinkle in the plan.  But it was nothing that wasn't fixable.

Once everything was pinned (right sides together) I marked my pattern with disappearing ink...

...then I sewed right on that line...

...trimmed it near the stitching, turned it right-side-out and...

ironed.  
 Actually, I ironed a lot today.  After every step I ironed again.

I pressed it so that a little bit of the outer material was folded towards the back (so the lining wouldn't show after it was hung up) and then top-stitched it to keep it in place.

Then I sewed the side seams.  {insert fascinating picture here}

I folded the top seam down, then turned it down enough to hold the curtain rod. And ironed.
Then sewed.

 And hung up.  
The color is off in this photo. The curtain and the valance compliment each other.
Use your imagination, people! It's pretty!
And it covers the exposed curtain rod beautifully; which was the whole purpose of this project.

And now the other window in the room needs a matching valance.
{sigh}
Maybe I'll wait a few days to give my fingers time to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!