Monday, November 25, 2013

Entry #16 - Frosted Chewies

I set out to make a snack last night before we went to church.  Plan A was to make a snack mix I saw on Pinterest that included making a caramel sauce, pouring it over a pan of Chex and nuts, mixing it in and baking for an hour.  I didn't have an hour.

Plan B was to make fudge.  I didn't like the recipe on the back of the marshmallow creme, so I got out my recipe book and looked up a tried-and-true recipe.  Then decided I didn't have time for that, either.

Side note:  a few years ago I typed out my favorite recipes, along with many of Mom's traditional recipes and many more recipes that I thought looked promising. I categorized them, printed them and put them in 3-ring binder.  This year I had to get a bigger 3-ring binder because I keep stuffing it full of recipes I've tried or want to try. 

Plan C (I have a whole alphabet, people) was another recipe from the "Holidays" tab in my recipe book.  It is called "Frosted Chewies" and Mom made them every Christmas after my cousin brought them to Mom's house to share. They are super simple to make and delightfully yummy. I would have never came up with this combination of peanut butter, chocolate and butterscotch.



Frosted Chewies
6 cups Special K’s
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup light corn syrup

--Put corn syrup and sugar in pan. Bring to slow boil; take off of heat and add peanut butter & Special K’s. Stir well. Put in well-greased 13 x 9” pan.

Frosting:
1 ½ pkgs (6 oz each) butterscotch morsels (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 ½ pkgs (6 oz each) semi-sweet chocolate morsels (about 1 1/2 cups)

--Put in double boiler and melt together. Keep stirring. Put on top of the chewies. Let cool. Serve. (about 3 dozen in one pan)

So I grabbed the Special K's that I'd bought at the Amish salvage store a few weeks ago with this recipe in mind (who cares if the package is dented?) and measured them.  A former co-worker told me she made this recipe with Cheerios and called them "Oh Henry Bars".  (Leah, this also the recipe Karen makes with corn flakes and brings to the Boy Scout functions--sometimes plain, sometimes with a drizzle of melted chocolate chips.) So you don't HAVE to have Special K's...but I'm a sentimentalist, so I do.  :-)
I also got the peanut butter measured and the pan ready.

 Then I stirred the sugar and corn syrup together on the stove top. The recipe calls for a "slow boil".  I'm assuming that means stop before it comes to a "rolling boil".
Get bored and write out your Thanksgiving menu.

It doesn't take long for the syrup to come to a boil.  Take it off the stove, stir in the peanut butter and cereal until incorporated...
...pour it into the prepared dish and press flat.  I grabbed a sheet of waxed paper to press it. Be careful because it is very hot.

Mix the chips, nuke them for a bit, stir, repeat.


Smear the melted chips over top the cereal mixture and leave it to cool.  Lick the spoon while you wait. Then leave for church and wonder if you have chocolate on your face the entire ride there.

Once cool, cut a small piece, take a bite and say, "Mmmm".

Later today I will surprise a little girl with a sewing project I've been working on. I hinted about it on my last post. Afterwards I will share it with you.
Later, tater!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!