Friday, April 18, 2014

Post #46 - sorry to leave you hanging; Part 1

In my last post I told you that I was busy...then I disappeared for nearly a week.

Sorry 'bout that.

I've been sewing all week. 
Making what?
Making Easter baskets and stuffies.
  I found this blog post that described how to make felt baskets and was intrigued.  Then I thought, "I have felt. I can make those for the kids."  So I made one and it turned out well, so I made another three....one for each of my kids and a spare, so to speak. 

I started out by cutting out all the felt pieces.  Since I was using felt off the bolt instead of craft sheets like the blogger had, I changed up a few of the measurements so I wasn't piecing things together.  Also, I decided not to do the basket handle since I had my own embellishment in mind.

 I started out by cutting out all my pieces. You need 8 strips to weave the base of the basket. While making the first basket I found that it was easier to cut the felt two strips wide, sew them and then cut them apart.
 Like so:

You need two hoops of fabric for the sides of the basket. Just sew a longer strip together with a zig-zag stitch:

And here is all pieces for one basket. Now the fun begins.

Weave the 8 strips together. Don't be fooled; it takes some fiddling to get them to look this neat. Stick with it because it will make a difference in the end.

Set the first ring on top of the base and weave it into the basket.

Then weave in the second strip.
 Yup, it looks pretty messy at this point. 
Almost done!
Once you have things tightened up, pin the top edge around the perimeter.

Here they are pinned and lined up for the final sewing.

And here they are done!
They are cute little baskets and I'm grateful for the woman who figured out (and shared) all the measurements and instructions. Bravo!
They measure 5" by 5" square and are 4" tall.

That's enough pictures in one post. 
Tomorrow I'll show you the "stuffies" I made and how I personalized the baskets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!