Thursday, February 13, 2014

Post #32 - Just in time for Valentine's Day

Last night as I was perusing through Pinterest I came across this website:
that describes how to make Conversation Hearts ornaments.

How adorable!

So today I made my own set!
I used gel and paste food coloring as well as the liquid to achieve the colors. Having pink gel coloring was especially nice.
 You have to really mix in the coloring into the salt dough.
 Then roll it out and use a cookie cutter. Pick up the scraps, re-roll and cut again.
 Put them on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. This is where I veered off the path a little and used a straw  to poke two holes instead of just one. I planned on making garland instead of ornaments.
 Bake at 250 degrees. 
After 2 hours mine still was a little soft on the bottom, so I peeled them off the aluminum foil, turned them over and baked a little longer. Actually, I turned the oven off and walked away and did other stuff for an hour or two.
 After they cooled I wrote messages on them with a red Sharpie marker, threaded some bakers twine through the holes and hung them up.
 I made it JUST under the wire. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day.
Happy Valentine's Day!

Oh, by the way, why didn't any of you, my friends familiar with flowers, tell me that the Paperwhites I wrote about blooming in my last blog post would stink instead of smell pretty?  I certainly wouldn't describe their odor as floral. I can't decide what they smell like.  Their only saving grace is that they are pretty.

1 comment:

  1. Love the garland but sorry I don't know what paper whites are or I would have warned you.....or maybe not. Sometimes it's funnier to let people learn the hard way. Like watching a kid look into a water hose, wondering why no water is coming out, while you are turning the faucet back on.....Good times.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!