Saturday, July 26, 2014

Post #68 - The week in review

This has been a busy week for our household.  We had one at church camp and two at Boy Scout camp.  And then there was Family Night at Scout camp on Wednesday where we enjoyed a potluck meal with our Troop families.  Then a storm came through and lowered the temperature AND the humidity.  We were all happy to see that happen.

The boys were home on Friday and had wedding rehearsal Friday night. The oldest is the Best Man, the youngest a Groomsman.  

When did the kids that my kids ran around with get old enough to get married, hmm?  

Anyway, Hubs got home from Scout camp today, we ate lunch, then attended the wedding.  And it was a lovely wedding. The bride was beautiful, her dress was fairytale gorgeous. But I couldn't help myself--when the Groom walked out I commented that he's just a baby!  
Kids.

I've taken a short break from the quilt piecing. I ordered a new foot for my sewing machine and it should be here early next week. It will help me keep the seams even and exact.
Exact is important when quilting. So I hear.

Meanwhile I began work on a stuffed animal pattern.  I joined the *Cuddle Club sewing club last month. The first pattern I received was for Buster the dog.  
 (Image taken from *Wendi's website.)

I've used Wendi's Shiny Happy World patterns before and I recommend them. Remember the*Easter Eggs from felt?  Actually, that stitching club set is what reignited my love for doing crafts. I was pretty depressed after my parents died last year and it was good therapy for me.  So Wendi holds a special place in my heart, even though we've never met. 

But I digress.

I joined the Cuddle Club a little late and missed the first two stuffed animals. My kit arrived in the mail while I was in *New York. So here I am, nearly a month later, just now starting work on it. Wendi keeps the pattern a secret until you receive it; I was tickled to see it was for a cute puppy dog. The kit arrives with everything needed to make the stuffy except for the stuffing, sewing machine and thread. She even included a cookie! But after setting in the package for over a week it was inedible. Still, it was very thoughtful of her.

Since I've been hanging out in fabric stores lately, I went ahead and picked up more cuddle fleece to make a second stuffy. 
Because I can, that's why. 
And since I always give away the stuffed animals I make I figured why not make two at once? Wendi had sent me fleece in pretty rust and brown tones. I picked out a cute brown textured fleece to make a whimsical dog.
Several years ago the kids helped me make pattern weights using different size washers and some fabulous nylon strips on a spool that my cousin gave me. I wish I had more of that stuff. Anyway, this was the perfect project to use fabric weights and the rotary cutter.  All the pieces were cut out in no time.
While I'm thinking of it, why haven't I ever heard of Wonder Clips before?  I ordered a set of small ones and have been using them all this week. I LOVE these little clips. 
 I use them instead of pins to hold the cut pattern pieces all together. I'm also using them to keep the quilt blocks and pieces in their piles. When I begin sewing this slippery fleece, I will use them to hold the fabric pieces in place instead of pins. They are turning out to be very useful tools.

After everything was cut out, I got distracted when I noticed that the boys' dress shirts for the wedding still had the creases from being in the package.  So I stopped working on my project to iron them.

While I had the iron out I went ahead 
and pressed the seams on the quilt blocks that I have pieced. Pressing the seams helps the block lie flat.

And then Kate and I stopped to play with 
the kitties who were just waking from a nap.
 Brutus doesn't normally care to be held, 
so this was definitely a photo worthy moment.

 And then things got silly when I put a glow bracelet on Lizzie. 
It lasted about 15 seconds before she took it off. Then we took it away from her so she wouldn't chew on it.

I will work on the stuffies next week and share pictures when they are done.

Click *HERE to return to the home page. 

*This blog program will not allow me to change the link settings. The default setting does not make the link very visible, so I've marked them with an asterisk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!