Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Entry number 3 (I can't believe we've made it this far. And a recipe.)

As a mother, I like to keep fresh fruit in the house.  One fruit that doesn't last long here is grapes. So when the hubster asked me to fix Grape Salad OVER A MONTH AGO, I knew it would be a challenge.  Riesbeck's has had grapes on sale three times since then. THREE TIMES! And I bought grapes all three times. Twice the grape were eaten before they made it into Grape Salad.
Third's time really is a charm, apparently.

First, you have to wash the dirt and gunk off of 2 pounds of red grapes and 2 pounds of white grapes. Because I had to buy nearly twice that much to ensure I had enough, I weighed them.  Here we have 4 pounds 5.2 ounces of the little beauties in a very large bowl.
 Why do they call the green grapes "White Grapes"?

This is where we turn from healthy to yummy.  Mix 8 ounce softened cream cheese with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Just use the hand mixer--no need to drag out the stand mixer for this. Cream (mix until the sugars melt) and refrain from eating this delightful mixture with a spoon.  Feel free to lick the beaters when the kids aren't looking, though.  Just make sure to detach them from the mixer. Safety first. I don't want to hear that you've "accidentally" wrapped up your tongue in the beaters.

Get the last two ingredients ready. I like to use sharp cheddar and I buy it already shredded because I like it finely chopped.  You will also need some finely chopped nuts.  I used walnuts.

 Fold the creamy mixture into the grapes.


Then add about another pound of washed grapes when no one is looking. You know, because you're trying to make this as healthy as possible. 

Fold in the chopped nuts...
 and the cheese.  I only use about half the package of cheese, even though the recipe calls for 2 cups. I'm a rebel.

That's it. Put it in a pretty bowl, cover, and place in the fridge until supper.

Oh, and if you could dump out your decorating tips while getting
your mixer out of the drawer, that would be great.
I'm clumsy that way.

True story: I wouldn't eat this the first time Carole brought it to a church potluck. Neither would any of the kids. Hubster was the brave one and he encouraged me to try it.  Yes, it's a weird combination, but it's oh, so good.  Carole gave me the recipe (THANKS, CAROLE!) and I've made it several times since.  So let's recap, shall we?

Grape Salad

2 pounds red grapes
2 pounds white grapes
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 to 1 cup finely chopped nuts
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Place washed grapes in a large bowl.
In a medium bowl, cream the sugars and cream cheese with a mixer.  Fold into the grapes.
Mix in the chopped nuts and cheese.
Refrigerate before serving.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for putting this one on here! I love it everytime you make it!! (remember , we have a scout dinner this Thursday . . .) sounds like a great idea to me!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!