Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Post #41 - facts about me

  • I love to cook & bake.
    This comes to no surprise to most of you.
    This comes as a shock to those who knew me before I was married, though.
    (I was a tomboy who never had time for anything domestic.)
  • I enjoy trying out new recipes.
  • I rarely make recipes as written. Very rarely.
    And I rarely make it the same way twice. Always tweaking and adding my spin on things.
  • Last night's supper was made totally off the cuff. No recipe. I just started putting things together that sounded like they belonged together.  
  • I enjoy cooking that way--but it also scares me a little bit because I'm never sure how it will turn out.
  • I also enjoy making lists with the cute dot things (called "bullets").  :-)

When I saw a crockpot recipe contest last week at the One Good Thing blog, I knew exactly what recipe to enter. Once I discovered that the crockpot was a perfect device to make custards in, I knew it would be perfect for my simple cheesecake recipe.
So I entered it in the contest. And I won!
Photo courtesy of One Good Thing by Jillee.
This is the picture from the contest. I have NO idea how they got such a perfect slice out of the pan/dish. Isn't it pretty!
 We usually just spoon it out from the dish and it looks like blobs on our plates.
But it's yummy, and that's what counts.

So go check out all the yummy looking recipes at One Good Thing by Jillee.

And because I can share it, here is my winning recipe:

Crockpot Cheesecake

·         6 graham crackers (rectangles), crushed into crumbs

·         3 tablespoons of stick butter, melted

·         3/4 cup sugar

·         1 cup sour cream

·         2 8oz packages of cream cheese, room temperature

·         1 teaspoon pure vanilla

·         3 eggs

1. Choose a small (1 ½- to 2-quart size) oven-proof casserole dish that will fit in the bottom of your crock-pot with room left on the side. You want to be able to pull the pan out without too much difficulty. Mix graham crackers and melted butter in that dish; pat into the bottom and slightly up the side.
2. In a separate bowl, mix sugar, sour cream and cream cheese until they are well blended. Stir in vanilla.*
3. Add the 3 eggs one at a time; blending well after each addition.
4. Add the cream cheese mixture to the top of the graham crackers.
5. Add 2 to 3 cups water to the bottom of the crock-pot making sure that it will not rise above your dish when you place it in the crock-pot.
6. Place the cheesecake dish in the crock-pot. Put on the lid of the crock-pot.
7. Cook on high for 2 to 2 ½ hours or until the center does not have a watery consistency when you stick a knife into it. Check on it about an hour into the cooking time; if there is a problem with condensation from the lid dripping onto the cheesecake, sop up the moisture by dabbing with a paper towel, then place paper towels across the top of the crock-pot to catch any more drips before replacing the lid.
8. Remove dish from crock-pot. Let cool on counter for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
9. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.

*(I sometimes add 1 to 2 Tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice with the vanilla to give it a little zing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!