Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Post #40 - another update


So while we're waiting for Kate to have something to blog, I thought I'd give you another update on some of the things I've talked about around here. 

 The celery ends are growing nicely. I've trimmed enough of the stems off that they both can fit into one cup now. They've grown a good bit, are bright green and have roots (all by just keeping them in water) so it's time to plant them in some soil. I'll have to get a pot and some potting soil soon. It is way too early to plant them outside.

The Paperwhites are done blooming. They've kind of grown out all over the place. 
They may or may not be in dire need of water.
{tilting head}
I'm leaning heavily towards the *may.*


 I have a couple new sewing projects started. One will be done with the machine; the other by hand and with a good bit of embroidery.  I ordered 4 patterns by email which will arrive once weekly for 4 weeks for some egg-shaped decorations. I received the first one Sunday. I have a week to complete it before the next one shows up.
Maybe I won't procrastinate knowing another one is on the way.
Yeah, right.

 I made stove top mac & cheese for lunch along with hot dogs and sliced tomatoes. The kiddos gobbled it right up.
And I put a roast in the crockpot for supper.
 It's smelling up the house this afternoon. In a good way.
My latest favorite liquid to toss in the crockpot with a roast or chicken is some doctored up bullion. 
It doesn't look like it, but that's only about a half or three-quarters of a cup of liquid in with the roast. It was bigger/thicker than I thought it looked in the package. I should have gotten out the bigger crockpot, but I'd just washed the round one up from the breakfast oatmeal that had cooked overnight...so it was sitting on the counter.
What I'm sayin' is: It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Anyway...to make this wonder-elixir I put some hot water in a mug and add around a teaspoon of bullion granules (beef or chicken) and stir it until dissolved. Then I add a couple of dashes of Worcestershire Sauce and a squirt of brown mustard along with several dashes of black pepper.
The mustard/Worcestershire Sauce combo is magic, I tell ya.
I first used the two together last November when I baked a ham for Thanksgiving.
Don't judge...we don't care for turkey.
But I digress.
I've used the combo several times since with different cuts and varieties of meats and it hasn't disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!