Saturday, December 14, 2013

Entry #21 - If you give a mouse a cookie.

Several years ago (maybe 15?) a children's author, Laura Numeroff, wrote a book titled, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie".  It it she describes how life can snowball on you; one thing grows into another, then another.

That well describes my life this week.

I started making piggy banks to give to our Sunday School class this Christmas.  You know, out of felt.
 
Because they're cute, that's why.
And I had to make them each in different colors.
Because I asked them last week what colors they like.
We have a whole herd of colored pigs.

 So then I got to thinking, we will need a gift bag to put the piggies and some candy in, so I grabbed the cute Christmas fabric that my sister-in-law gave me last year, whacked off a hunk of it and sewed it to make a bag.
Actually, a whole set of bags.
  

And then I remembered something I saw on Pintrest.  You sew some candy inside of a brown paper sandwich.  I decided on a stocking shape, drew it out and added a velvet ribbon accent.
Like so.

And I thought I'd toss a candy cane into the bag. 
Cuz kids need candy when they go home. :-)
Then I remembered the candy cane mice that someone gave my kids many, many years ago.
I had leftover felt. Why not?


So I made a batch of mice with candy tails.

 Now everything is gathered together in their individual bags...






 And will eventually be tied up with ribbon once the teacher and I get the last few items gathered.
These bags came together so quickly. I should make them for all the presents this year and not ever by wrapping paper again...just keep reusing them.  
Mwahaha...or not.

  Meanwhile I'm in charge of this week's ornament craft.
 I printed large ornament shapes with "These are a few of my favorite things. Christmas 2013" at the bottom.  Then I printed a bunch of clip art with things they told me they liked.
 They will pick out what they like, glue it onto the ornament and take it home. Done in a day. 
Last week me made Borax Snowflakes.  Those were not done in a day. But parents have told me the kids are looking forward to coming back to Sunday School this week to see their snowflakes.

We're coming down to the wire, folks. Christmas is in TEN days!
I'm still shopping, baking and decorating.  Lots of stuff may not get done this year. So be it.

We hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!