Saturday, October 25, 2014

Post #78 - Savannah, the "LOOK UP" tour

I could post a bunch of pictures of our time in Savannah, Georgia that would look like everyone else's touristy pictures (no I can't) or I can post a bunch of pictures of what I found to be of interest (now that, I can do). 

So...today you will see what it looks like to see the architecture when you look up at it. Don't complain, give it a chance...

We went by horse-drawn carriage. It was very relaxing.



A church steeple.
 No doors on this balcony. Apparently there is (or was) a door tax, so they just put in tall, tall windows instead of doors. 

 This building had a natural blue stone worked into the tops of the building. 


 Spanish Moss is everywhere.

 Beautiful ironwork is everywhere. The tour guide said Savannah was second only to New Orleans in the amount of ironwork. 
I love this shadow of the scroll ironwork. 




 Lots of very old buildings. Savannah survived the Civil War without being burned, so the buildings survived in tact. Since then there have been fires and hurricanes though.

 Another church...from the side (top photo) and from the front (bottom photo).
 It looked like they were getting ready for a wedding.

Oh, speaking of weddings, we saw a proposal in progress in one of the park squares. A private horse-drawn carriage driver told our driver about it as we passed by him. I think he was their driver.
Anyway, it looked like it went well and she said yes. 

A theater--the first building in town to have air conditioning.

We are having a good time on our Mother/Daughter vacation at my sister's house.  I really appreciate my sister taking us shopping and touring. We've had a lot of fun enjoying each others' company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!