Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Post #76 - I finished my first quilt!

Today was the day. 
Today I was determined to conquer my fear of binding a quilt. 

I took a quilting class at the library several years ago. I learned how to applique and hand-stitch a small wall-hanging quilt. I learned how to hand quilt it.  During the last class I was quickly showed how to bind it and told to go home and do it. 

I never did.

And thus began the dread of binding a quilt. I'd had an instructor to critique every other step of the quilt, but no accountability to finish it.  So I didn't.

But today I was determined to finish a quilt.

And I did!

I laid everything out and cut the binding strips and trimmed the quilt.

I stitched the binding to the back and turned it to the front to finish off with a decorative stitch.  Just a little something I saw in a YouTube video that I watched to psych myself up for the task.

And, TADA! Just like that it was done.

I really like the decorative stitching in the variegated thread.

The mitered corners came out perfectly.

I even included a pocket to put a rod through so I can hang it.

It's there. See?

I am so excited and relieved that it is finally finished.   I won't be so afraid to tackle the next quilt's binding.  Nope, nope, nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!