Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Post #24 - Cold weather update

We're having a heat wave. A tropical heat wave....

Not really, but bonus points to anyone who can name the old movie that song's from.
And  kudos to anyone who even know that was a song and it was from a movie.
Double kudos if you sang it as you read it. :-)

With record low temps, I decided to do a couple experiments.  Cuz, you know, I'm a science geek. And even though we complain about the weather a lot, we really don't get a lot of below zero temps here, so you gotta strike while the iron's hot. Or frozen. Whatever.

First off, I tried the frozen bubbles:
http://distractify.com/culture/arts/frozen-bubbles-in-wintertime/

It didn't work with store-bought bubbles when I tried it last night.  So this morning I made a bubble solution with boiling water, corn syrup and Dawn.   And if we hadn't had winds, it *might* have worked out better.  But most of the time the bubbles burst right away or they burst upon landing. These little fellas survived, though. And yes, they did freeze.


 ...and then collapsed.
Some bubble solution recipes call for glycerin. I have some glycerin so I think I will try it. I'll fiddle with the recipe for a while, maybe add more Dawn. If I get good results, I'll share them.

Moving along, I put boiling water in a cup, instructed Timothy to toss it in the air and this is what happened.
It froze. Instantly.
A.maz.ing.

And since I had dumped a hot pizza in my oven last night. Upside down. On the hot oven door. Can we say "baked on mess"?  Anyway, no baking will be done until that is thoroughly cleaned, so I put oats in the crockpot last night before I went to bed. Bingo!  A nice, warm breakfast to start the day.  I had thawed out some bananas to make banana bread after the pizza was done. Since that wasn't happening, I tossed them in the crockpot. It smelled WONDERFUL this morning. Almost like banana bread.  It tasted wonderful, too.

Stay warm, my friends.  It will warm up soon.

1 comment:

  1. I thought of you when I posted that bubble link. I knew the cold was heading your way and you'd be game to give it a try. Myself, well I have to wait for the next cold front since I didn't see that soon enough to try it on Sunday.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be published once we make sure they're not spam. Thanks for understanding!